Friday 14 March 2014

Hangsaman - Shirley Jackson

I've been on a mini Shirley Jackson binge (can two books be a binge?) which I'll be giving more details about in good time, but I had to share this.  I read Hangsaman and The Sundial, and whilst browsing reviews came across this cover on The Rumpus.


In the fine tradition of schlocky covers, it's got almost nothing to do with the plot - and nothing at all to do with the tone - of the novel.  But it caught my eye, because surely... that's Magdalen College on the front! Whoever crafted the cover to this American novel about an American college decided that the best thing for the cover was an English university college... wonderful.

This picture was nabbed from here.


1 comment:

  1. Heh! That's marvellous. Although I am a bit worried about the tower of American Magdalen. It looks a little unsafe. No wonder the girl is a bit anxious.

    ReplyDelete

I've now moved to www.stuckinabook.com, and all my old posts are over there too - do come and say hello :)

I probably won't see your comment here, I'm afraid, but all my archive posts can also be found at www.stuckinabook.com.