Tuesday 2 November 2010

Short But Not So Sweet

Just in case you can't get enough of me writing about books here, I thought I'd keep tonight's post short but sweet, and point to Short But Not So Sweet - which is the title given to my review of Alice Munro's short story collection Too Much Happiness. It's just come out in the online Oxonian Review, and you should be able to read it here. Hopefully it's the same sort of 'voice' I use for this blog, but with the benefit of editing and wakefulness...


Oh, and Spots of Time, I haven't heard from you yet in order to get your copy of The Love-Child to you. Hope to hear from you soon - otherwise this weekend I'll draw another name. Make sure you (ahem) spot this in time!

5 comments:

  1. Interesting to read one of your more "academic" reviews. A naive qustion from a far-flung feline (I am in Tennessee at the moment, some pictures on Morgana's Cat); why can't a short story be just "short"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link. I'm not sure but what Alice Munro may be a little "over my head" from the sounds of the review. All that going back and forth in time in just 30 pages would be a little much for me to keep up with, but you give the impression that she pulls it off. Her story lines do sound a little on the dark side, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Susan in TX

    Dark is good! No?

    The blackest cat

    ReplyDelete
  4. cool, will check it out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! I recently read this and haven't written anything about it because I was trying to wrap my head around why exactly I think she's such a genius. Something to do with choosing such sad characters, but instilling everything with her own little brand of humour?

    ReplyDelete

I've now moved to www.stuckinabook.com, and all my old posts are over there too - do come and say hello :)

I probably won't see your comment here, I'm afraid, but all my archive posts can also be found at www.stuckinabook.com.